Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Lordship Salvation?

........and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Lordship Salvation as I define it, is the belief that though a man comes to Christ he will not be saved unless he brings enough of his own commitment with him. But "what saith the scriptures?"

37All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

So if you come to Christ he will in NO WISE cast you out. Regardless of the ammount of commitement you bring. So now the question is.... Is it possible to come to Christ without or with little commitement to follow him? Yes.

Luke 14:26
If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

According to this verse it is possible to come to Christ without hating your own life. (Or submitting totally to the lordship of Jesus.) So now let's say that a person were to do this. Would Christ cast him out? Read John 6:37 again. And again.....

Matthew 11:28
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

So is coming to Christ being willing to labour and carrying a heavy load of submission? Or is it entering into the power of Christ and resting?

Hebrews 4:10
for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.

So, when I'm entering into God's rest am I bringing my own works or commitment of works? Or am I resting?

Here's a link to Charles Spurgeon's testimony: http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/helpseek/spurgeon.htm

Nowhere does he talk in any way about making a committment to follow Christ. It was simply "look and live look and live." And are we really going to doubt that Spurgeon was saved?

"My commitment to Jesus Christ does not save me. CHRIST SAVES ME BY HIS GRACE.
My surrender to His Lordship does not save me. CHRIST SAVES ME BY HIS GRACE.
My obedience to His Word does not save me. CHRIST SAVES ME BY HIS GRACE.
My love for the Saviour does not save me. CHRIST SAVES ME BY HIS GRACE.
My ability to fulfill all the demands of discipleship does not save me. CHRIST SAVES ME BY HIS GRACE.
My behavior and conduct does not save me. CHRIST SAVES ME BY HIS GRACE."

--George Zeller

Now, I do think that saving faith will end up producing these things as time goes on, but to say that my focus must in any way shape or form be on my own committment and obedience instead of the finished work of Christ is nothing more than works salvation and to more of an extreme point than even many Catholics or people who teach that you must be baptized to be saved.

For more info read Middletown Bible Church's article: http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/salvatio/lordsh01.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment