Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Adding the word "unless" to verses.

Hebrews 13:5

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

This verse alone even without the support of many other verses proves the permanency of salvation.
Whenever somebody thinks they can lose their salvation I always point them to this verse.
What do I hear every time "But we can leave him or forsake him!" The verse doesn't say that. It says "never"

What people do who deny the security of the believer is add "Unless I do this" or "Unless I fail to do that."
But once again the verse doesn't say that. It says "never."

1 corinthians 1:8
He will keep you strong to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Where's the "unless" in this verse?

Phillipians 1:6
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

What about here? I don't see an "unless". Maybe I'm using a bad translation?

Jeremiah 32:40
I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me.

Unless...... I choose not to let him? Does it say that?

John 10: 27-29
27My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.

Unless I sin too much? Unless I eat a chicken? Unless I use Italian instead of Ranch dressing?

Romans 8:30
And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Unless I don't let him predestine me? Unless I don't let him call me? Unless I don't let him justify me? Unless I don't let him glorify me? No "unlesses" here.

Ephesians 1:13-14
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

Guaranteing our inheritance until our redemption. Unless I forget to clean my toes? Unless I don't read my bible enough? No "unlesses" here either.

Why don't we stop adding unlesses to the Bible and just let it say what it says?
Unless of course we don't want too........

No comments:

Post a Comment